A Review of Medical Emergencies and Techniques
Eileen A. Clark, RDH, MS
Following this course, the participants should be able to:
- Discuss proper preparation for medical emergencies that may occur in the dental office setting.
- Understand the underlying conditions that increase the risk of a medical emergency occurrence in the dental office setting.
- Evaluate the patient medical history and ASA to identify treatment modifications and potential for emergency situations in the administration of local anesthesia.
- Recognize the signs and symptoms/pathophysiology of the most common medical emergencies in the dental office setting
- Discuss the proper management protocol for the most commonly occurring medical emergencies in the dental office setting
- Recognize and manage local and systemic complications associated with local anesthesia administration
- Understand the steps to successful local anesthesia techniques in dentistry